When we hear the word ‘detoxification’, a lot of ideas may come to our mind. Our human body work constantly to remove toxins and unwanted stuff which are being ingested into the system on regular basis.
In our day to day modern life, the body gets run down from junk food choices, alcohol, and caffeine, drugs, stress, depression and environmental toxins. No matter how healthy our diet or lifestyle is, external factors still require us to give the body a chance to recharge and dispel anything that may be holding us back from experiencing superior health and long lasting vitality.
When important organs are placed under too much pressure, it makes human body vulnerable for diseases.
A detox is an opportunity to give our body a break and allow our own self-cleansing and self-healing processes to work efficiently. Our bodies are intelligent and a period of cleansing is the best way to click on the reset button and start on a path to a healthier, happier and more energetic you!
How does it help?
- Prevention of chronic diseases
- Stronger immunity
- Increased energy
- Radiant, glowing skin
- Bright, clear eyes
- Mental clarity
- Improved self-confidence and empowerment
Top food and vegetables playing a crucial role in detoxification:-
- Lemonade– The lemonade cleanse involves making a drink out of water, lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne pepper which you will consume exclusively for a period of between three and ten days. The lemonade cleanse is intended to help you flush toxins from your system, while also effectively aiding weight loss.
- Apples– Apart from being rich in vitamins, fiber and minerals, apples are also rich in phytochemical and pectin, which all help in detox. Apples are best eaten raw and if consumed with the skin are good source of vitamin C and fiber.
- Berries– All the berries; strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blackcurrant and blueberry are rich sources of vitamin C and fiber. Consuming berries helps produce butyrate, which is a fatty acid that helps in weight loss and makes the body lean.
- Pineapple– Pineappleis bromelain rich fruit which help in breaking down of proteins and its digestion. It also helps in reducing inflammation which further helps relieve arthritis and helps in speedy recovery from injuries.
- Pomegranate – Pomegranate offers good amount of vitamin C and fiber. It is also considered a good medicine since it helps keeping the heart healthy. It also regulates cholesterol.
- Beet Roots – Beets are awesome. They are full of nutrients and are a great source of vitamins B3, B6 and C, plus beta-carotene, magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron. They assist our liver and gall bladder in breaking down toxins, and their fiber is great for digestion and elimination.
- Garlic –Raw garlic is totally amazing. It has powerful antiviral, antiseptic and antibiotic properties. Garlic helps stimulate the liver into producing detoxification enzymes that help filter toxins from the digestive system.
- Broccoli –Broccoli sprouts contain important phytochemicals that aid in the detox process. These phytochemicals stimulate detoxification enzymes in the digestive tract and are also extremely high in antioxidants!
(Writer Dr Rajesh Upadhya is Director – Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Shalimar Bagh. The views expressed are personal opinion.)